Help Lighthouse Louisiana to build a better tomorrow for our students with vision impairment, while living in an exciting city with food, fun, and festivals galore.
Lighthouse Louisiana is seeking a Certified Teacher of the Visually Impaired who are eager to use their skills and creativity to provide itinerant vision services and to develop youth programs for children with vision loss in the Greater New Orleans area.
Lighthouse Louisiana is dedicated to ensuring that our youth are receiving well-rounded opportunities to learn through quality instruction and play. Our programs expand beyond the classroom to include Goal Ball, recreation, transition skills training, and a summer camp. If you want to make a difference in the lives of children who are blind in a holistic environment with an interdisciplinary team, contact Lighthouse Louisiana today.
- Develop a strong working relationship with key staff of the public, charter, and recovery schools in the Greater New Orleans area.
- Work closely with parents of visually impaired students and advocate for services in the school system.
- Provide quality TVI services to area schools under contract with Lighthouse Louisiana to optimize opportunities for success for their students with vision impairment.
- Collaborate with educators and other professional staff to develop comprehensive Individual Education Plans.
- Diligently follow all IEP goals and attend IEP meetings to ensure the successful provision of services.
- Monitor progress and amend IEP goals as needed to promote clear and open communication with teachers, Special Education Coordinators, school Administrators, and parents.
- Provide assistance to teachers and support staff within the schools that may need additional training or information to follow through with IEP recommendations.
- Provide tutoring to students in Nemeth-code, Braille, and other academic subjects, as needed for them to excel.
- Collaborate with Youth team members to develop and implement programs that will enhance social and academic success for visually impaired youth.
- Collaborate with team members to organize and implement extracurricular youth activities.
- Collaborate with team members to plan and implement an annual summer program for blind youth.
- Complete daily documentation and subsequent reports in a timely manner to support requirements for reimbursement from all school contracts and additional funding sources.
- Foster a team environment with effective communication and a coordinated approach to providing vision rehabilitation services.
- Participate in community outreach and educational events as needed.
- Follow all VRS expectations, policies, and procedures.
- Follow all ISO procedures as required.
17. Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Vision Rehab Services.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Open until filled.
Apply as follows:
- Email as listed- Include the job title in the subject line
- Fax- 504-895-4162/ ATTN: HR (include the title on the cover sheet)
- Mail- 123 State Street New Orleans, La. 70118 / ATTN: HR
Please include any credentials to validate meeting the requirements.